[lug] Recommendations For Older Hardware?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Jul 15 11:29:08 MDT 2010

On 7/15/10 10:54 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> I think that Ubuntu Desktop LTS (note: just the Desktop LTS, not the
> other releases!!) fits your request. On all the old hw I tried, it
> just work fine, install as a piece of cake and maintain by itself
> (much easier than windows, I'm told by windows users I gave it to -
> don't know as first hand since I dumped M$ in 1997).

I would recommend Debian, just because Ubuntu annoys me. :) But Ubuntu
is Debian in most ways, so ...

Depending on how old the hardware is choose desktop software that is not
Gnome or KDE. I like XFCE. LXDE is not bad. Openbox is another one that
is pretty neat. There's always IceWM.

Heh, as I was writing this and doing a bit of web research I found this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

The advice on that page is for Ubuntu.

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."