[lug] Tools to navigate Unix links backwards?

Vince Dean vincedean at frii.com
Fri Jul 23 09:36:20 MDT 2010

 I've inherited a system that depends on a complicated directory
structure with multiple links, both hard and symbolic, to some of the
files and directories. The fact that there may be many paths to the same
file (aliases) makes the system hard to understand and maintain. It
would help if I could easily find all the links to a given file, that
is, follow the links backwards.

I can imagine a tool which would scan a file system and build an index
of all the links it finds, so that I could follow the links in both
directions. It would work something like updatedb and locate.

Does such a tool exist? I can't be the first person to want such a thing.

Thanks,
Vince