[lug] LCD Monitor Refresh Rates

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Sat Jul 31 09:18:18 MDT 2010

On 20100730_231553, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> At the RMSEL school in Denver we're replacing old CRTs of different
> types with some Acer X193W 19" monitors.
>
> Linux thin clients are using these fine except when a program wants to
> go 800x600 full screen the monitor goes blank except for a "Input not
> supported."
>
> I'm assuming this means the refresh rate the video card is producing is
> not one that the monitor likes.  The monitor's manual lists four
> specific refresh rates for 800x600.
>
> Do I need to get the video card to produce exactly one of those? Or just
> near it, consider it a 'custom mode' but get within some sort of range
> the LCD likes.
>
> Haven't dealt with x modelines in a while and was enjoying that.

I experienced a similar problem when I was running Lenny.
I got my problem fixed by an edit to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, that
was given me by a Xwindows expert.
I no longer need his magic since moving to the newer X in Squeeze.

You don't say what distribution of Linux is in use. Are you sure
your using the latest release of X? Longest lasting fix is to move
to latest version. But what worked for Lenny was, in xorg.conf:

_________________
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "UseBIOS"       "off"
EndSection
_________________
It is the Option line that does the good. It turns out that
there is a tradition of having a small 'BIOS' in the monitor
electronics that contains configuration setups for that
monitor provided by the manufacturer. These conform to the
X standard, but are seldom useful for the actual flat screen
hardware. This line tells X to use whatever works rather than
limiting its choice to only the pre-programmed database.

YMMV

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net