[lug] Select-o-Magic 3000 v1.00 Release

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Fri Aug 13 16:42:16 MDT 2010

Davide Del Vento wrote:

> Congratulations. I couldn't make your BLUG talk, but I like your
> software a lot!!!

Thank you very much! :)

> Unfortunately I can't use it yet, because I have a deal-breaker
> feature request: most of my music is not on files on a hd, but still
> in old CDs, stored in boxes in Italy: can next release of som3000 rip
> and tag them (preferably in ogg-vorbis, not mp3!) without me spending
> months of PTO in my parent's garage in Italy? Sort of my personal
> GoogleBooks for music?

Ogg-Vorbis support is on the wish list. It looks like it would be very
straight forward to implement (easier than mp3s, actually) but since I
don't have any ogg files, it's not a personal priority. If anyone wants
to write a C function to extract the tagging info from ogg files let me
know and I'll give them the specs.

The best GUI CD ripper for Linux is Asunder (and yes, I'm willing to
risk a flame war with an absolute statement :-) ). It supports ogg, mp3,
aac, flac, and some formats I've never heard of. It can even create
multiple formats to the same directory so you could, for example, rip to
lossless flac for your high end stereo and low bit rate mp3 for your
portable player in a single rip. And it supports tag editing before the rip.

http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/

Lori