[lug] Android comparisons

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Sun Aug 15 07:51:16 MDT 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Bruce Long wrote:

> Consider the Nokia N900. It is a phone/linux computer. I run gcc, gdb,
> Gimp, Open Office, and lots of other Linux software. It's almost
> totally open; you can compile your own kernels. You can run Debian
> Linux and possibly KDE and Gnome.

I second considering the N900, especially if you like a hardware
keyboard. All touch screen phones are cool, but if you are a keyboard
person (as I am), touch screen keyboards don't quite cut it.

Now, I will admit the N900 is a 'geek' phone, I would NOT recommend it for
the casual user. And it is a bit bulky/heavy. But if you want a Linux box
in your pocket (that can also make phone calls), it is the way to go!
Getting to a shell prompt is trivial (just run xterm from the app menu),
and getting root only requires installing the rootsh package. Apps can be
written in C, Python, etc... with QT or GTK, and installed with DEB
packages, just like a desktop Linux system.

I bought mine unlocked from Newegg early this spring and have been happy
with it. I had an iPhone 2G (w/service paid for by my company), so I just
moved the AT&T SIM from the iPhone to the N900. I don't get 3G (would have
to move to T-Mobile for that), but everything else works fine (including
Bluetooth tethering :).

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." --- Phil. 1:21 (KJV) |