[lug] Android comparisons

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:09:34 MDT 2010

> Choices, choices.  If Apple does a CDMA device, and Verizon chooses to
> pick it up/deal with them/whatever

After 3 years of living here, I still feel bad when I hear these kind
of sentences. I know, I've probably ranted about it onlist already,
but in many other countries (most of the Europe and surely in Italy)
you can buy any phone you like and it will very likely work with any
carrier you like. Like when you buy any car, they may suggest one
brand of gasoline, but it works with any brand (well, there are small
caveats, such as not putting diesel or rubbing alcohol in it instead
of gas, but they are reasonable). Too bad that's not the case here in
the US, and that apparently almost nobody cares and the few ones who
do care, cannot do anything about it, besides "hoping" like you are
doing.

Ah, and 90% of the Italian phones do work here in the US with a
T-mobile SIM card (in fact, the phone I'm using right now was bought
in Italy, because I couldn't find anything worth buying here - and
T-mobile is the only carrier deserving my money, since they allow me
to do that). Good luck with putting an Italian SIM card in your iPhone
- although you may buy the exact same iPhone in Italy and I'll bet it
works just fine with any carrier