[lug] Wireless problem

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:46:06 MDT 2010

I've got a little wireless networking problem.  Most open networks,
I can connect to just fine.  But there's a somewhat larger network
with several access points all with the same ESSID that I can't
seem to associate to.

The signal strength should be more than good enough, from where
I've been trying to make it work, 46/100.

Here's what iwconfig shows me, after I try to associate:

eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Auraria Campus"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=0/65535
          Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-114 dBm  Noise level=-114 dBm

This happens with two different wireless cards, a Cisco Aironet 350,
and an Orinoco Silver.  Both of which are truly ancient.

Which brings me to another question: anyone got a spare laptop
pcmcia/cardbus-style card that supports WPA2 that could be
donated to a starving college student?

Thanks,

--
Chris Riddoch