[lug] Linux and the (wireless) phone at the Burning Man festival

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 2 17:42:01 MDT 2010

  On 8/31/2010 7:55 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/083010-open-source-voip-cell-phones-at-burning-man.html
>
> Or in other words, http://openbts.sourceforge.net looks pretty cool!

Reading up on this in other forums, the ONLY reason the FCC allowed the
experimental license required to run OpenBTS and GSM base station
functionality, was that out that far in the Black Rock Desert, they
probably won't interfere with any of the carrier networks.

Cool software, but totally useless in the real world of FCC spectrum
licenses and frequency coordination, anywhere but the middle of a
desert.  :-)

(Thus why Google and others are paying the super-big-bucks to get
spectrum, and paying off Congresscritters right and left to get the FCC
to break many-decades old best-practices for eliminating/avoiding
interference.  As each FCC Commissioner is bought-and-paid-for, we'll
see more things like the "whitespace" argument used, and then we'll
watch most of our gadgets fight interference issues with other
unlicensed gadgets.  e.g. 802.11 and Bluetooth... same unlicensed
spectrum, and they don't play nicely together.)

Spectrum works better when it's actively managed, and ENGINEERS actually
decide whether or not different modulation types will bother each
other.  (Note: The American Taxpayer has, and is still in the process of
paying multi-millions of dollars to clean up the mess than Nextel made,
not buying Cellular spectrum, instead cramming digital signals in so
close to Public Safety ... as in those folks that need radios to show up
when you dial 911, you know? ... spectrum.

The FCC has less and less engineers who understand RF spectrum
management, every year.

So... right now we're all paying for 700 MHz "re-banding" to move away
from Nextel in the 800 MHz spectrum... even as Nextel got bought by
Sprint and should have just died... according to me, and people I knew
who worked for them... one of the worst-managed RF-technology companies
ever...

Two-way radio manufacturers love all of this, though.  They're charging
your State and Local agencies (even volunteer ones) somewhere in the
range of $2000/radio.

Yes, that's $2000 for each cop car, fire truck, etc.  All in the name of
"narrowbanding" and "going digital", which frankly, hasn't increased
intelligibility or quality of their communications in the slightest.  In
fact, firefighters have been concerned for some time now that agencies
that have gone over to digital/highly-compressed audio streams are
mostly NOT understandable when they're wearing oxygen masks/protective
gear at fire scenes.

Also consider that when radios cost $2000 apiece, there aren't as many
to go around.

This is just my own personal summary of the events of the last 10 years
or so in two-way radio communications.  Analog "broadband" systems
worked, but the world's appetite for gadgets that need RF spectrum is
insatiable... and there's a lot of money flowing.  To make room, we're
now putting first responder's lives at risk, as well as those they are
serving.

Which sounds just about typical for our tech-crazed "consumer" society.

My opinions...

Nate