[lug] Wireless problem

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Sep 3 08:58:30 MDT 2010

On 09/03/10 07:28, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>> Could it be a G only network and you're using a B card?  Got a G network you can test with to check
>> the symptoms?
>
> The earlier post about associating with a specific AP's address seems
> to have worked. It's still not ideal, as it's difficult to automate
> the connection when I start up my laptop, but it's still better than
> having no connection at all.
>
> At least, it seemed that way, until I realized how congested the
> network is, and the extent of problems outside of my control. I'll be
> experimenting with using openvpn to tunnel my traffic over port 80 to
> my home, before letting it out to the open internet.  I'm thinking
> about posting a summary of my experiences here, once I figure out an
> adequate solution for having "internet access" instead of "web
> access."

>From what I've seen of students with infected computers in my classes,
I'd say you should assume you there will always be infected machines
on the campus networks.

> I'm also looking for other open access points of less user-hostile
> networks in downtown Denver, within walking distance of the campus, in
> the meantime.

There is a Starbucks at 15th & Larimer near the CU building. A
little bit off the main Auraria campus just across Speer. If the Denver
Public Library has open wireless it might be close enough to use. You can
take the 16th street mall shuttle a good part of the way.