[lug] Stuxnet Worm

Chris McDermott csmcdermott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:47:21 MDT 2010

Have you all heard or read about the Stuxnet worm?  It's a really bizarre
story, and a fascinating piece of malware.  I wrote a blog post that has
most of the relevant details: http://www.barkingseal.com/2010/09/stuxnet/,
and Ralph Langner in Germany has a lot of good details on his website:
http://www.langner.com/en/index.htm.

It made me think of that bit of industrial espionage in the 80's where the
CIA helped the Russians steal engineering diagrams that had been slightly
modified and resulted in a huge explosion, but otherwise I can't think of
any cyber warfare that has targeted specific facilities like this.  Stuxnet
certainly sounds like an impressive bit of coding, to be sure.  Four
separate 0 day exploits, multiple attack vectors, and the first publicly
known worm to infect PLC's and then hide itself there.  Just wow.

Chris