[lug] IP on computer, not modem

Matt James matuse at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 07:26:20 MDT 2010

Alfred,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Alfred G. de Wijn <dwijn at iluvatar.org>wrote:
<snip>

> I like my ISP, but I like beer better so I'm trying to trim the 3rd party
> ISP plus static IP from my bill.

I too like beer - however I don't know of a way to have just the DSL service
and not an ISP.  As I understand it, ISPs are the folks assigning you an IP
address and routing your traffic to the various corners of the world.

> The only thing is that I would very much like to keep the globally routable
> IP on the computer.

I've googled around, some people claim it's impossible with Qwest, others
> claim it's possible but only with PPPoE and not PPPoA, yet others say one
> must have a static IP to do it.

I have many machines setup in both static and dynamic addressing
configurations using PPPoE to authenticate.  This places the public IP on
the machine itself.  I basically use this setup because I use linux
firewalls.  It's much easier to setup VPN and the like from one point to
another when you don't have extra layers of NAT in the way.  Double NAT +
VPN = bad juju.

>  It's hard to find information that appears reliable.

I'll second this.  I basically had to figure this all out on my own through
trial and error.

> From what I did find, I concluded it's possible to have some sort of
> bridging setup with PPPoE (but I can't confirm if it's RFC1483 or something
> else), and some sort of "half bridging" (couldn't find much details on that)
> with PPPoA.  In a moment of utter despair, I called Qwest tech support, but
> alas the poor guy I talked to had no clue what I was on about.

Yea - don't ask the tier 1 tech support guys - it's not in their "script."
My trick is to tell them I'm running Linux and that I need to talk to a
Network Operations tech.  That usually does the trick.  Really, with most
ISP's, the hardest part for me has been getting ahold of all the
authentication information like my actual username and password and if they
use PAP or CHAP.  Once you have that stuff, it should be pretty smooth
sailing.

> Does anyone have a setup similar to my own but without the static IP and
> 3rd party ISP on a Qwest DSL line?

So to reiterate,  yes, I have a machine setup with a dynamic IP (DHCP) using
PPPoE and bridging (and yes, I've even done this on the 678) and it works
just fine.  As others have mentioned, I use dyndns to help with the fact
that my IP changes every now and then.  I also have machines setup with
static IPs using the same PPPoE and bridging setup.  Both work great.  Also
- I've never had to "ask for permission" or "notify" my ISP that this is
what I'm doing.  I have (although not many times) switched back to letting
the modem handle the authentication and been just fine.  The ISP doesn't
(and shouldn't) really care.

Comcast - by the way - assigns public addresses directly to the machine so
you don't have to mess around with this bridging stuff.  When you have a
"static" IP with them, you still use DHCP but you always get the same
number.  I have seen some other ISPs work this way too - I think Integra is
one of them.

<insert some disclaimer about having a public IP on an unprotected computer>

Best of luck,

Matt