[lug] IP on computer, not modem

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:13:55 MDT 2010

Hi,

my requirements for my internet connection is "cheap, reliable enough
and fast enough (to do video calls to my relatives in Europe - the
timezone difference makes reliable important, otherwise I wouldn't
care)".

So the information I have are limited to my requirements and might be
incomplete.

> Last I knew, Comcast charged more for internet access than for
> internet access + TV.

They still do. Very_basic_cable_tv + the_internet_plan_that_I_want is
cheapest than the_internet_plan_that_I_want alone, at least for the
"introductory" offer, the one you get when you are a new customer and
not a renewing one. Note also that if you (repeatedly) threaten them
to leave to the competition, they keep offering you this
"introductory" offer (about $50), instead of the "regular" one, which
I think is about double that money.

> Short version: I don't *want* TV.
Me neither. Last time I turned it on was half minute at the end of
July (because I moved to a new house and I wanted to see if it still
worked). Previous time was president's state of the union speech.
Before that (if I remember correctly) were president-elect and
competitor speeches.

> I don't miss
> TV when I don't have it, but if it's around, I find myself wasting a
> lot of time in front of it
Well, if that's the case, toss it out, or give it for free to a charity :-)
Anyway, note that the very_basic_cable_tv plan they give is pretty
basic. The only noteworthy channel is PBS, which is indeed very
interesting, but I doubt you could waste *so* much time watching: you
either fall asleep or your brain explode for the overflow of
informations.

HTH,
Dav