[lug] Reserving part of a file system -- quotas or something else

Mon Nov 8 15:11:47 MST 2010

It sounds an awful lot like you're looking for a good, old-fashioned partition. LVM is just gravy. Do you need resizing or not? If you do, go LVM. If you don't, just make a partition.

Create the partition
Mount it somewhere out of the way
Create a few appropriately named and permission-ed folders. I might suggest a mode of 2770 or 2775.
Create symlinks in intuitively obvious locations.

autofs might dovetail nicely here...

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MSCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS