[lug] Protecting Media Computer

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Dec 13 09:10:45 MST 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 22:03 -0700, Bruce Long wrote:
> I have a media computer that has all our movies, music, etc. on it. I
> have XBMC but often we need to exit and use the Ubuntu system
> underneath for file browsing, internet surfing, etc.

Use GNOME and the workspace manager. Place XBMC in one work space and
just switch back and forth with the keyboard.  I do this with MythTV and
Firefox on my media server (runs Fedora, however).

> Lately, I've had the problem of our 3 year old experimenting with
> mouse clicks and pop-up menus and I'm reminded of the three-year-old
> in the news a year or so back that clicked around on eBay and
> purchased a steam-roller from Australia while her parents slept.

Enable the screensaver with password lock.  You can add a panel app to
disable/enable on demand so it doesn't get in the way while you use the
server.  But that requires you to actually reenable it when you're done.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org