[lug] linux friendly (comcast) cable modem

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Mon Jan 3 20:11:30 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> Next question: I need to cut my monthly expenses, so I'd like to buy a
> cable modem instead of renting. I have this model:
> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Scientific+Atlanta+DPC2100&cid=13210343985441865160
> (rented from comcast at $7/mo, from next month!)
> Question is: if I buy it (and return the rented one) do I or comcast
> need to do anything to set it up? If so, can I do the setup from
> linux? Recommendation for other models welcome too.

In my experience, this is OS independent. Comcast will require that
you "register" the mac address of the new modem with them. This
generally means calling them once you have it installed (at which
point you have no Internet) and telling them you are replacing the
modem and would like to register the new mac addr. It should be
relatively painless, but takes a little time. Once swapped out and
working, you can return the old unit.

I've done this before and it wasn't a huge deal - I have no idea if
there are specific compatibility issues w/ different models. I would
assume if your modem supports the same DOCSIS standards the working
one does you should be fine.

Aaron