[lug] Data recovery

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Wed Mar 23 09:29:09 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I've done some searching, but most everything I've read assumes some
> partitions to work with.  The files I am interested in retrieving are
> all pictures, and all have IMG in the file name.  I'm looking for ideas
> to try and retrieve those files.  They are all on the Ubuntu partition.
>  I don't care about anything on the Windows partition.

I've had some luck using a utility called 'testdisk'
(http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to recover partition tables.
Assuming that's all that's damaged or missing it may help. Do use it
on a copy of whatever data you are trying to fix because it will need
to try to re-write the partition table. There are also probably some
general data recovery utilities out there that don't assume a valid
partition table exists - I'm just not sure what those might be.

Aaron