[lug] Data recovery

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 23 09:06:16 MDT 2011

I have a dual boot (XP and Ubuntu) Dell Mini9 with a failed SSD hard
drive.  I booted the machine with a live CD, and fdisk -l indicates the
drive has no partitions.  I connected an external hard drive and ran:
dd_rescue /dev/sda /dev/sdb

That completed with some information about bad sectors.  I also ran the
same command again with another external drive, this time creating an
image file which I have since copied to my main computer.  I gave the
first external drive to our IT dept to see what they could do with it,
and I would also like to try and retrieve some files on my own using the
image I created.

I've done some searching, but most everything I've read assumes some
partitions to work with.  The files I am interested in retrieving are
all pictures, and all have IMG in the file name.  I'm looking for ideas
to try and retrieve those files.  They are all on the Ubuntu partition.
  I don't care about anything on the Windows partition.

Gary