[lug] Job: Senior Java Engineer

Matt Dew marcoz at osource.org
Thu Apr 7 11:43:28 MDT 2011

On 04/07/2011 09:50 AM, John Vonachen wrote:

> IMO - An engineer is someone who designs systems to satisfy a set of
> design criteria each with varying degrees of importance.  A developer is
> just someone in general who writes software that actually gets used by a
> user or end user as opposed to a tester, QA, or even V&V (verification&
> validation).  Software engineer is usually someone who takes direction
> from a technical or project lead (someone who has technical stuff to do
> him or herself), a project director (a manager who does not necessarily
> do or even know how to do technical stuff).  In the game industry
> project directors are called producers just like in the movie industry.
>   A project lead is usually Senior Software Engineer (for smaller groups)
> or Senior Principle Engineer (for larger groups with more than just two
> levels of hierarchy).  CIO is just one person in a larger company.
>
> Agree or disagree?

Disagree.

What does a 'Sales Engineer' do?

An engineer is someone who engineers.

Someone who designs is a 'designer' not an engineer.

(A 'design engineer' is another favorite. ;) )

I would say 'someone who designs systems to satisfy a set of design
criteria' is a designer;  he's designing something.

I would say 'someone in general who writes software that actually gets
used by a user' is a coder; he's writing code. (Why did you use the word
'just'?)

A developer is someone who develops;  I'm not entirely sure how this
applies; algorithm development maybe?

'someone who takes direction from a technical or project lead'...
Everyone takes direction from a lead, either directly or indirectly, so
they're non-leads, 'engineer' has nothing to do with this.

It seems to me that the word 'engineer' has been elevated to a high
level of respect so everyone and their dog wants to be one and therefore
will argue semantics and split hairs to justify why think they are one,
which is actually stripping any meaning out of the word.  There's
nothing wrong with being a coder or a developer, they're good
occupations/careers/jobs.  I don't understand why so many coders and
developers feel they have to say they are engineers. It's like they
don't feel any pride in their work unless they have that word in their
title.

By these definitions a java engineer would be a software engineer who
writes in Java.  Out of curiousity, are there .Net engineers,   C
engineers, c++ engineers, php engineers, perl engineers, python
engineers, ...?

MHO,