[lug] AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Steven Hart shart at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 23 16:53:31 MDT 2011

  Well I thought I had it figured out until the latest kernel was updated.

I know you have to reload the kernel modules each time a new kernel is
loaded but now the ati install won't run right.

On first boot, I brought the system up in single user mode and ran the
installer.  It ran normally and finished.  I then let the system come up
fully and had accelerated graphics running normally.  Proceeded to fully
update the box  (which included a new kernel).  On reboot, I went into
single user again and tried to run the installer to make the new kernel
module but it's complaining about permissions in the bin directory.

So right now I'm frustrated and don't want to deal with this anymore.
Why does ATI make this such a pain in the ass while nvidia makes it
relatively easy?

I'm tempted to buy 20 cheap nvidia cards and forget this ATI mess.

Any suggestions for making these ATI cards work from kernel to kernel
would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

--
Steve Hart