[lug] How to implement Authentication on Disparate OS?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jul 15 19:20:05 MDT 2011

Bear Giles wrote:
> Authentication is a deep problem so you definitely want to build on top of
> something that already exists - don't just toss in a few calls to a crypto
> library and call it a day.

I think I would use something that understands networking and authentication.  Like SSH.  Or a web
server (but SSH is probably better).

So instead of making a client and a server you make a local piece that invokes the remote piece over
SSH.  Can you make the database know what local (to it) user is connecting?

Of course the remote machine needs to know your users.  But I'd rather use its authentication
mechanisms than invent my own.  If that's too hard, web servers (and mail server, and mail clients)
seem to know how to do authentication and may be more modular than SSH.

Dave