[lug] nVidia drivers

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:58:20 MDT 2011

Hi,
time is coming to update some computers, and being a stereoscopic
person (the real, photographic kind, not the current movie fad, see
here for a group where I belong: http://www.rockymtnstereophoto.org/ -
sorry javascript is needed but it shouldn't)....
... I'm wondering about stereoscopic support from nVidia cards on
linux (actually I'd be open to other vendors, but it looks like nVidia
is the best choice). Now:

I care about pictures only, (very) marginally my own videos, don't
care about movies, blu-ray, games and that stuff - for which there is
a lot of "noise" online, preventing me to find the "right"
information.

>From nVidia website it looks like that the video card drivers works
fine with linux.
They also do have shutterglasses (either IR or USB) and they don't
have drivers for linux. In fact, in the requirements, they say
windows-something:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html
However, those glasses are really "dumb", the only thing that they
need is to synch with the screen to "flip" on-off to the right eye at
the right time. No software is required at all! In fact, in the past,
they used to have a (wireless or wired) dongle which would intercept
the synch signal from VGA cable (or even from a TV cable!) and it just
worked regardless of the operating system, monitor, computer, TV, etc
(the problem was that with CRTs, you either had a very expensive
monitor/TV, or very low resolution, or a lot of flickering). I had one
of those back in Italy... But I didn't have a digital stereoscopic
camera at that time (now I have the fuji W3), so I didn't care much
about them... I'll bet this technology still works, if you  can:
- use VGA cables (is there a resolution or refresh limit for which
they switched to DVI cables? Or is it just for "digitalizing"?)
- force the video card driver to go into "stereoscopic mode" even if
they don't see any shutterglass hooked into the USB

So the question is: has any of you played with stereoscopy on linux
with nVidia (or any other FWIW) cards? With what success? I checked on
the internet, but I didn't find much, probably because of the clutter
caused by the fad mentioned above...

Another option (not sure if easier or harder): anybody tried to use a
3DTV instead of a monitor (I think in that case you have to use a HDMI
cable these days, right)?

Thanks,
Davide