[lug] offer: old router & network drive controllers for hacking

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:25:10 MDT 2011

It's claimed that WRT54G v5 is definitely
dd-wrt-able<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0>.
 Only v7 is guaranteed to become a brick.  (I myself have, just to be sure
they were right, converted a v7 into a doorstop.)

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:

> I have some old gear that would be good for embedded hacking.
>
> 1) Linksys WRT54G v5. I've replaced it since it was losing connectivity (I
> can't remember if it was the wired or wireless access) but maybe that's
> fixable with a reflash. I know these were very popular routers to reflash
> for years but I don't know how much memory is in this one.
>
> 2) Linksys N-SLUG (network storage link) still in box.  This is a small
> wired device with two USB ports intended for two USB 2.0 drives. Out-of-the
> box is only supports SAMBA. There was an active third-party developer
> community for a while, I don't know if it's still active. Some people
> reflashed their systems to boot off an external harddrive (see below), other
> people used a package format that allowed the new apps (ftp server, web
> server, etc.) to be burned to flash and didn't require external drives. Some
> slugs had a decent amount of flash memory but some didn't have a lot to work
> with.
>
> 3) same, reflashed to boot Debian off external USB drive. I'm not sure
> where said external drive is now - it was probably reformatted.
>
> The tech is pretty dated but I'm sure it's "good enough" for some apps and
> has very low power requirements.  And it's free.
>
> I don't know when I'll make it to the next BLUG meeting but I could meet
> somebody in Boulder (or just leave it in the carport for you to pick up at
> your own convenience.)
>
> Bear

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],