[lug] OT: IE questions

Steven A Hart shart at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 4 22:21:45 MDT 2011

 From dealings with government organizations, I've found that they are
usually well behind the curve in terms of hardware and software.  I just
had an instance where I had to deny support of a NASA JPL code called
Gipsy because RHEL5 is too updated in terms of python for it to run
correctly.  JPL's official stance.......Use a 5 year old version of python.

I'm not surprised at all that those sites are still "officially
supporting" IE6 and 7.  The nice thing about the newer browsers like
Chrome and Firefox is that sometimes (not always), the programmers take
these types of forms into consideration and they make it so that the
newer browsers handle them correctly.  I'd say give it a go and see what
happens.  It may work, or you may hit "submit" and it does nothing.
Just the fact that the form loads and is viewable could mean that you
are good  to go.

Just my two cents.

Steve

On 10/04/2011 10:02 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Folks,
> I've just come across a (federal government) website in which I need
> to submit a form. The website says: "This Web site only supports
> Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7."
> Questions:
>
> 1) the form looks fine in Chrome/Firefox 3.6 under linux. Do you think
> that they just have that warning, but than the thing works? If the
> answer is "who knows", do you think it's possible to decide the answer
> looking at the HTML of the page?
>
> 2) weren't those IE version very old? And available only in windows
> XP? Is is possible/easy to run them on Windows Vista? Windows 7?
> Finding a M$ machine is already painful, finding a old one, it's even
> worst :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Davide

Steve Hart
Systems Administrator
Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
University of Colorado Boulder
Steven.Hart at colorado.edu
(303)492-8109