[lug] Samba, VPN, unison & speed

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Wed Jan 4 14:18:10 MST 2012

> sorry i don't have an answer for you.  but i was curious as to what method and or commands you use to determine those 20% and 50% "best" bandwidth utilization figures.  i would like to be able to determine similar types of things if you care to share.
The glib answer is math :)  On Windows, I use process manager to look at
the traffic on the line and it reports in Network Utilization. So if I'm
on a 100 Mbps  ethernet connection, but I have a 1.5Mbps internet
connection, my max through-put  is 1.5%. So 0.5% utilization is 33% of
my theoretical max. Under Linux I use gnome's system monitor (process
monitor? I can't remember) and it reports in kB/s, so I multiply by 8 to
get it until kbps and take the ratio compared to what I should get based
on my network connection to the machine.

LAN with a mix of XP and Win 7 machines. Can samba use smb2 on a mixed
network, or if there is one old machine, does everything have to be on smb1?

Ben