[lug] Samba, VPN, unison & speed

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Wed Jan 4 16:14:42 MST 2012

Ben, with 90ms RTT latency, even a modest TCP window size of 56 kbytes
should suffice to "fill" a 5 Mb/s pipe, so maybe it's something else.

My advice would be to try a bulk TCP transfer using a straightforward
protocol like HTTP, between the same two hosts over the same VPN.  If this
achieves substantially better throughput, continue digging into SMB issues.

If HTTP transfer also seems slower than you'd expect, fire up Wireshark and
capture a chunk of the flow.  When viewing your pcap, turn of unhelpful
protocol analysis like NETBIOS and SMB.  Interesting things to look for
would be signs of frequent packet loss (indicated by retransmissions),
window sizes and use of window scaling (in the initial handshake options).
 The TCPTrace graphs can also tell you a lot.  (Try zooming in).  There's a
wealth of information within.