[lug] Registering a website and maybe trademark

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Sun Jan 8 13:16:48 MST 2012

> I just have the "Quest" DSL, so I'm sure I don't have a static, but I know
> there are people that take care of that.
> Recommendations?

I've used dyndns.com.  Personally I would just pay CenturyLink a few
bucks to get a static IP.

> Also - want to register company name/ trademark, etc.
> Attorneys advertise doing that for anything from $99 to $750 - what's the
> easiest, cheapest route?

Have you ever noticed that "Google" is (tm) not (r)?  I've never
registered a trademark.  Just put the trademark in use right away,
make it public in text on your website with a clear "tm", and you
should be good.  If it is related to your domain name all the better.
If the company starts to get big, you can always register later.  More
info here http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

To register a company, you just need to go to
http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/FileDoc.do

You'll need articles of incorporation and a resolution or two.

If you don't expect to have liability issues, shareholders, employees,
or significant income, I wouldn't bother setting up a company.  If you
have an existing company, just DBA.  If you don't, just use a sole
proprietorship.  Setting up a company without some serious legal
thought into the issues surrounding the company is just a waste of
time.  If you have stockholders, how do rights survive when someone
leaves?  If you are raising capital, what is the difference between
preferred and common stock?  Do you need business insurance, E&O,
etc.?  What type of structure do you need (S, C, LLC)?  Do you want to
register in Delaware or Colorado?  Also, if you have to change from,
say, an LLC to a C corp, there are significant tax consequences.

I've started about 10 companies in the last 12 years.  I've made lots
of mistakes, including spending far too much time on the legalities of
the business when the business itself never got off the ground.  Work
on an idea, see if it has merit, and then found the company.  If you
are a founder, you have rights (including transferring assets) that
don't mess with your tax situation.

I'm not a lawyer, accountant, or MBA.  You should consult your lawyer
or accountant for your personal situation before making any decisions.

Rob