[lug] Core i7 / Linux / graphics

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jan 10 11:46:18 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 10:59 -0700, Steven A Hart wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm trying to put together a new system for a client using a Core i7
> sandybridge processor and I've got myself all confused about the built
> in graphics that are included.  With the core 2 quads I'd just get a
> pci express video card which was NVIDIA based and the job was done.
> Now I'm seeing some sort of built in graphics on the processor and the
> motherboards come with an HDMI port but say they do not have an
> onboard video chipset.  Hence my confusion.
>
> So if I buy the i7, with no pci express video card, and no onboard
> graphics on the MB, will Linux still run with accelerated  graphics?
> I just don't want to shell out the money and then have the thing not
> work as I expect.
>
> Any advice for this idiot (i.e. me) would be appreciated!

Some versions of the i7 CPU come with an Intel GPU included on the CPU.
Not all of them, though. You need to double-check which kind you are
getting.

If you get the CPU with the included graphics, then the motherboard will
route the pins to the HDMI or DVI port included on the motherboard.

These included GPUs are pretty adequate and work well with Linux.
They're not up to doing OpenCL GPU computing or playing the newest video
games.
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts