[lug] RHEL 6 Nouveau versus Nvidia for graphics

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:45:25 MST 2012

In my experience, not on RHEL mind you, Nouveau "works", but is
generally slower than the proprietary drivers. I also believe (though
this may not be true) all the advanced CUDA and other processing
capabilities of the card are unavailable without the official drivers.

While I respect Nouveau from a philosophical standpoint, I've found
that I've always been better off just using the official drivers. That
said, it's been well over 2 years since I last played with them, so
things may have changed quite a lot in that time.