[lug] Code Retreat in Boulder on Sat Mar 31st

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 5 11:01:25 MST 2012

On 02/27/2012 06:29 PM, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> experience.  I highly recommend it.  My only frustration was that
> because of time constraints, it wasn't *quite* possible to finish a

The thing is, you aren't supposed to be able to finish it at a Code
Retreat.  If you complete it, you're doing it wrong.

I can say this with some authority; I was able to finish it during my
third attempt.

It's about the process of developing, and the goal is that you should be
trying to do good software processes without hurrying the process to try to
complete it within a deadline.  The whole purpose of the code retreat is to
not have to worry about deadlines, but try out pair programming, testing,
etc...

In my case, the success was due to a perfect storm of testing at exactly
the right level, pair programming, and picking an implementation that
ended up being pretty easy to do.  It was the first time I had tried
the "infinite world" sort of implementation, but it just worked out really
well.

Sean