[lug] Android Emulator

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Mar 5 11:52:23 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 10:38 -0700, John Vonachen wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a development environment for developing Android
> apps.  I have a badass windows 7 laptop: i7, quad (which looks like
> 8), 16gigs of ram (overkill?).  I made a virtual box with Mint 12,
> installed everything I think I needed through the package manager
> (that way everything I get is most likely to be compatable with Mint
> 12).  I followed the instruction pain-stakingly on the
> developer.android.com site.  Tried to get the hello android project to
> work on eclipse.  The emulators I tried to run it on, none of them
> finish booting.  No android screen, no home screen, just a black
> screen of death.  Has anyone worked with this?

I used to have problems with Linux in VirtualBox. I started using the
following parameters on the kernel boot line:

	clocksource=jiffies divider=10

divider=10 reduces tick speed to 100 Hz assuming your kernel is
configured to run at 1000 Hz. 1000 Hz is pretty bad for a virtual
machine.

Another thing you may be hitting is the emulators might be trying to use
virtualization themselves. Make sure VirtualBox has the options enabled
to give virtualization to the guest system.
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts