[lug] is it possible to recover lvm partitions?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Mar 7 18:44:48 MST 2012

I've hit a snag mounting several LVM partitions and wondered if there's a
way to recover the data. The LV are recognized (in /dev/mapper) but when I
try to mount the partitions I get a 'missing superblock' error. Even an 'od
/dev/mapper/vg00-abc' gives me an I/O error.  Ideas?

BTW the system was running as recently as late January but for at least a
year I've had to boot the system via grub because new kernels weren't
recognized for some reason. It wasn't a huge problem since I would leave
the system up for months at a time. It finally gave up the ghost today and
I couldn't even get to a grub prompt. I'm afraid it might have scribbled on
the disk.