[lug] is it possible to recover lvm partitions?

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Wed Mar 7 20:30:40 MST 2012

On 03/07/2012 06:44 PM, Bear Giles wrote:

> I've hit a snag mounting several LVM partitions and wondered if there's
> a way to recover the data. The LV are recognized (in /dev/mapper) but
> when I try to mount the partitions I get a 'missing superblock' error.
> Even an 'od /dev/mapper/vg00-abc' gives me an I/O error.  Ideas?

I'm no expert, but a few months ago I recovered a GPT LVM drive using
the guide I found here:

http://linuxwave.blogspot.com/2007/11/mounting-lvm-disk-using-ubuntu-livecd.html

I don't know how much it mattered that my LVM drive did not span any
physical drives.

Good luck!

Lori Reed
www.Lightning-Rose.com