[lug] stupid encrypted hard disk question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue May 22 13:42:37 MDT 2012

On 05/22/2012 01:34 PM, Bear Giles wrote:
> How do I turn on encryption now? My stack is LVM/Encryption/RAID1.

As far as I know, you're probably looking at re-installing if you want to
set up encrypted LVM.  You could likely do tricks with reducing the size of
your file-systems if you are using under half, then setting up another
partition with crypto and adding it to the volume group, and doing a
"pvmove" to move all the extents to the crypto volume.  Then remove the
unencrypted volume from the group, and shuffle things around so you can
resize.  Just make sure that the boot loader now knows to ask for the
crypto password.

That's a pretty complicated paper-path, unless you're familiar with all the
tools involved (partitioning, cryptsetup, pvcreate/pvmove/vgextend, etc,
initrd...)

Sean