[lug] insane Gigabyte issue

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jun 7 15:57:53 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 14:54 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 13:28 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> > Is it a BIOS or UEFI?  The latter may not work with anything but
> > Windows.
>
> Just for info: I put my Samsung laptop into UEFI mode just for fun when
> I installed Fedora 16 and it works fine. Well, mostly.

Yeah, but I think F16 is a "valid" OS now that they paid MS for the
privilege.  Or so I read recently (can't remember where, but likely via
Slashdot).

I predict cheap, off-the-shelf, ARM desktops for Linux developers by
year's end, just to get around this silly business.  Ubuntu is already
supporting ARM quite well, though I don't use Ubuntu.

I'll roll my own distro (BeagleBox or some Angstrom-based distro) if
Fedora doesn't work with it.  Haven't tried Fedora ARM yet.  Last I
checked it was at F14 or maybe F15.  I think there is an Fedora release
for the Raspberry Pi, if I could ever get my hands on one of those.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>