[lug] insane Gigabyte issue

Anthony Foiani tkil at scrye.com
Thu Jun 7 18:20:28 MDT 2012

"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> writes:

> Yeah, but I think F16 is a "valid" OS now that they paid MS for the
> privilege.  Or so I read recently (can't remember where, but likely
> via Slashdot).

The RedHat / Fedora UEFI business is for Fedora 18+, SFAIK.

I had a few issues getting Fedora 16 onto an x86-64 EFI platform, but
my issues weren't "trusted computing" related.  (It was more "some
genius decided that shipping F16 with a non-functional NTFS filesystem
shrinker was a good idea" related.)

> I predict cheap, off-the-shelf, ARM desktops for Linux developers by
> year's end, just to get around this silly business.  Ubuntu is
> already supporting ARM quite well, though I don't use Ubuntu.

Good luck; my recollection is that the ARM boards *will* be locked to
Win8 only.  It's the x86 boards that wintel is grudgingly opening up.

(Not surprising, as the ARM systems -- mostly tablets -- will likely
be subsidized in the same way that gaming conoles are, and therefore
will be locked down in the same way.

Grumpily yours,
t.