[lug] Fwd: Where would you go to learn this stuff? [OT?]

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jul 26 14:45:15 MDT 2012

I would vote for virtual instances using VirtualBox instead of actual
hardware unless you have a specific need for physical hardware. The four
big wins are:

1) you can create a base system and then clone it for each task,

2) you can save dozens of images for specific purposes although, alas, the
individual images may be just a hair too large to fit onto a DVD,

3) you can easily share the image with other people for discussion. (Well,
as easily as you can share a 5 GB file.), and

4) there's minimal cost for doing it right, e.g., having one virtual system
containing the web server and a second virtual system containing the
database instead of one system containing both.

You can set up the guest so it talks directly to the network card instead
of going through the HostOS - that means you can have multiple virtual
boxes on a single host. I haven't tried sniffing on the network connection
but I'm sure it must be possible.

The other possibility is getting virtual servers from the Amazon,
Rackspace, etc., clouds. With a bit of puppet you can bring up the system
quickly so the cost would be quite low. There's a big possible downside
though since anyone looking at your activity could think you're a real
attacker and that might cause some grief. I don't know whether Comcast,
Qwest, etc., are doing packet inspection for suspicious activity but it's
the type of thing that I can foresee happening in the future. It's the
usual tradeoff - 99+% of home systems that are sending out email or
attacking systems have been compromised. The remaining 1% are run by people
who are technically competent and able to find other solutions.

Bear