[lug] Why is it SO easy to destroy cloud environments?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Thu Oct 18 08:59:43 MDT 2012

Rob,
I lurk on this list. I started when I moved to Boulder County from
California nine years ago. I'm a retired physicist who has been
following Linux since late in the 1990s, never reaching anything
approaching expert status. I also follow politics by lurking on
the web.

It seems to me that your concern is much more than an annoyance to a
programmer. Leon Panetta (sp?) is in the news recently raising
alarums about terrorists attacking our cyber infrastructure.  Your's
is an issue of national importance. I can't do much about it other
than encourage you, and point out to you a local government
organization that might be able to help, and to maybe act as a
concerned citizen go between in case you have concerns about rattling
the chains of local bureaucrats. (Boulder is still a pretty small town
by national standards.)

NIST has a long history of working with industry to develop national
standards on all sorts of industrial issues. (I remember seeing at the
old campus of the Bureau of Standards, (NBS) some really big tapered
screw threads, which were described to me as the primary standards for
the threads on the ends of lengths of drill pipe in the oil
industry. NIST is the new name for NBS. )

According to the NIST website, they have a program in cloud computing.
They should be interested in your rant/concern. If you have tried to
talk to them and failed to get thru to anyone who appreciates the
problem, Jared Polis is our local Congressman. Like all
Congresspersons, he maintains a local office and a local staff mainly
for the purpose of helping people who want help from the government
bureucracy. It seems to me that in the current political climate,
belief that small business is the carrier of the American dream is an
article of faith. There really should be a vigorous response to even
very gentle prodding. If you don't think you can handle talking to a
politician, I can front for you to keep your name off the radar
screens of political wackos. But realize I'm not an expert in cloud,
or any other type of, computing. I may muddle the situation, if I get
involved.

It's OK for you to show this letter to anyone who questions you about
doing more that ranting on this issue. I think it's your civic duty.