[lug] Free Software in Schools

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 09:27:59 MST 2012

One of the many reasons I stopped working in public education was
frustration around attitudes about this stuff and the bureaucracy involved.
I even had a lot of support coming from the assistant superintendent at the
last district I worked at and it was still a major uphill battle.

Most of the systemic problems I referred to were not federal things, but
state things. Education is controlled at the state level for the most part
and the details vary widely from one to the next, but as far as I've seen
they are all mired in bureaucracy. If this is something you want to dive
into, do some research on how the budgeting system works for public schools
in CO and see if it has the same sorts of problems like I describe from OR.
If so, put together proposals on why changing it would be a good thing, and
how to change it while still discouraging corruption and misuse. If you can
get some superintendents to work with you in fighting that fight to make
the system more nimble, you might be able to change it, which would be a
positive not only for FOSS adoption, but countless other things.

My answer to these problems on a personal level is avoiding traditional
public school for my children all together once they reach that age. Maybe
someday I'll get back into that fight, but I'm pretty burned out on it for
now.

QH