[lug] Newbie Question about Virtual Device Driver

Scott Jackson scott.jackson.swe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:17:35 MST 2013

Hey everyone!

I'm new to Driver Development.  I was actually trying to avoid it on
this project, but I think what I want to do requires it.  Lets assume
that I don't know anything about Linux and C/C++.

What I want to do is simulate hardware attached to my system.  Please
let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

I'm building a simple C++ application to asynchronously command and
monitor hardware devices.  This is really just for a learning
experience, I believe that I have a solid design for this part of the
application.  Since my hardware being controlled is fictional, I need
a way to simulate the hardware.  So this project is divided into 2
parts, the manager and simulator.

In the Manager I'm using UDEV to identify the attached devices and
set-up controllers for them.  So what I need the Simulator to do is to
create the fake devices so that UDEV can find them and open a
communication line to them.  I envision the Simulated devices being
simple Socket Servers that respond to the incoming requests from the
managing software.

This seems like a problem that has been solved many times over.   I
think I need to implement a Virtual Driver in order to create the fake
devices.

Am I headed in the right direction with this?

Thanks!
-Scott