[lug] Newbie Question about Virtual Device Driver

Jonathan Corbet corbet-bldrlug at lwn.net
Sat Feb 9 10:25:35 MST 2013

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 10:17:35 -0700
Scott Jackson <scott.jackson.swe at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what I need the Simulator to do is to
> create the fake devices so that UDEV can find them and open a
> communication line to them.  I envision the Simulated devices being
> simple Socket Servers that respond to the incoming requests from the
> managing software.

The easiest approach might be to look at the UIO subsystem.  There's an
oldish overview here:

	https://lwn.net/Articles/232575/

you'll find more current information in uio-howto in the kernel
documentation directory.  UIO let's you put a little shim into the kernel
and farm the real work out to user space, so your simulated driver can run
in a relatively easy and safe environment.

jon