[lug] advice on lab setup

Steven Hart steven.hart at Colorado.EDU
Tue Aug 20 13:53:59 MDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Was hoping for some advice on a computer lab I want to setup. Currently
I work with RHEL in an environment where each workstationhard mounts
/home, /usr/local/, and a data storage directory from my RHEL server.
That works great for those workstations but there is a lab setupI'm
trying to work with where I needto be able to run some "Windows only"
programs and I'm looking for a good solution without running a damn
windows server.

I've also worked with VMWare on individual workstations to run a virtual
windows setup.  What I'd like for this lab is a setup where there is a
Linux server, Linux workstations, and some sort of virtual setup to
allow each workstation to run the "windows only" software (which can be
processor intensive, i.e. chugging numbers).

I realize this will not be an easy task but what I need is a push in the
right direction. Where should I start looking? Should the virtualization
be on the server or client? Should the clients be thin clients or more
independant of the main server?

I'm less concerned about cost and more interested in theoverall layout
and having a plan in place so I can make informed decisionsabout what
hardware to buy down the road.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers

Steve