[lug] off-topic: wireless ip security

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Sep 3 22:56:19 MDT 2013

We were robbed on Sunday.  Took my wife's car, among other things though
only the dogs were home at the time (they're fine, though seem a little
out of sorts).  While it may be too late, I'm looking for ways to
fortify the home.  One thing I'm unfamiliar with is the current state of
wireless IP security systems, like cameras, motion detectors,
door/window openings, etc.  Ideally I'd like to be able to be notified
of intrusions via my Android phone.  Building such things from scratch
with Arduino or Raspberry Pi would be fun, but we're in a little more of
a rush in this case.

I'm not tied to Linux for this at the moment - we just need peace of
mind for now.  Since this is off-topic please reply directly with
suggestions, unless its a Linux camera or device. Anyone interested in
any summaries on the topic, let me know.  I'll post what I find on my
blog and let you know.

Thanks.