[lug] web site advice needed

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 11:59:19 MDT 2013

sure.  i always make backups.

followups though:

1) can you *easily* make backups directly from the wordpress admin panel vs having to go out to the cmd line (assuming a non linux user is going to administer the site)?  and then easily restore them from the admin panel if something goes awry vs having a non-technical user work mysql / cmdline foo?

2) in my original post, i mentioned two different things a) backup the db and then b) backing up the wordpress directory.   you commented i think mostly on the db backup.  i imagine that wordpress update is going to unpack some set of files on top of the existing directory.

a) so do you dup your working directory and then run the upgrade on top of that? or do you just let it rip from the control panel in wordpress?

if you do the former, i imagine that's something that an avg user isn't going to be able to do without some cmdline foo?

b) obviously if you change CORE wordpress code, it could be overwritten on an update.  but what about if you roll your own templates and or plugins.  is wordpress smart enough to not touch or overwrite those?

3) does wordpress allow simple update and upgrade of plugins from the admin panel?  if a plugin author screws up for whatever reason, will reinstalling the previous version fix db issues that may have been applied via the plugin update or do you need a db backup for that?  my guess is that answer depends on the author and or the plugin.  just wondering if the plugins have guidelines that prevent this sort of mishap from happening by requiring plugins to take care of db maintenance when upgrading and falling back.

thanks for answering quentin