[lug] Fedora SRPM Practices

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 00:09:28 MST 2013

 > > So my question is, for those who commonly work on SRPMs, do you
 > > create a user "mockbuild"? Would it change the rebuild of RPMs by
 > > having this devel user added?

 > Shouldn't matter much, no.     mock is a 'cleaner' way to build things because it builds in a newly  created chroot so you can be sure nothing 'extra' on your machine is  changing the build. The above messages tho are just caused by src.rpms  that are also built in mock... if you don't have the mockbuild user it  will have the files owned by you. (the user that unpacked it).     kevin

I was originally only looking at the source used to compile a dynamic library to compare it to the devel headers (they seem to have accidentally mixed lib and header definitions incorrectly by mixing prior and newer API versions), but now I'm even more curious about mock rather than my original problem. I'm in need of setting up a good environment for long term use, including cross-compiling and packaging for different architectures, so mock intrigues me.

I looked at these links, which probably mix two sets of instructions and examples:
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock#Security_Considerations
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Mock_to_test_package_builds?rd=Extras/MockTricks

Seems the SRPM I'm working with wants the user "mockbuild", but the first link above has "adduser -m -G mock build", which means that those instructions instead want a user named "build", a member of "mock" group (in addition to the regular group for "build" user). Similar but different names, "mock" and "mockbuild". So between the "mockbuild" user the SRPM wants, and those web pages based on the mock utility, these are the users and groups involved:
  two users listed: (1) mock, and (2) mockbuild,
  and three groups: (1) mock, (2) build, and (3) mockbuild

Should just the user "mockbuild" with group "mockbuild" be enough? Seems like some of the information was about "typical" ways to go about using mock, while the SRPM itself used "mockbuild". I'm thinking it would be ok to remove user "mock" and group "build", but hate to just cut those out when there may be some subtle purpose behind it which I missed. During install of an SRPM from the official fedora repositories, would I typically be expected to run into many different build users, even if the mock utility were used in creation?