[lug] Fedora 19 Network Config Q

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sat Nov 23 20:25:19 MST 2013

On 11/22/2013 08:56 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> So what is the difference in purpose between /etc/sysconfig/networking/
> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ? They seem to exist because of
> multiple software packages. /etc/sysconfig/ is provided by rpm
> "filesystem", the networking subdir is provided by
> "system-config-networking", and the network-scripts subdir is provided
> by "initscripts". Could these packages have intentionally created
> multiple hard links to the same file? This seems like a really really
> bad idea.

Well, the whole system-config-networking scheme is pretty well
deprecated these days, but yes it maintained configurations in
/etc/sysconfig/networking.  The idea I believe was that you could have
different "configurations" based on the same underlying hardware and
switch between them.  The hard links maintained compatibility with the
basic ifup/ifdown scripts.

> A related question to these different subdirectories, how is the UUID
> used? Is this used in firewall setup? Is this generated from something
> other than MAC address?

I believe it is used by the NetworkManager system to uniquely identify
connections.  See output of "nmcli c".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com