[lug] WAS: Version Control Device Special Files?...NOW: tar dev special file security

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 15:48:31 MST 2014

An interesting point. I personally run a single file system for home and the rest, so I couldn't mount my home with nodev. I don't know a lot about SElinux, but it makes me wonder if perhaps mount POINTS should have a nodev option when SElinux is not around. So one could perhaps create a file like fstab which would be able to say "directories not on this list shall not allow device special files". Then again, if a user wants to untar a non-trustworthy file, you probably can't get around all human behavior.