[lug] WD MyCloud NAS Details

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 15:13:46 MST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxlists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

>  Recently I helped a friend buy a NAS for her home and this weekend I got
> a chance to go exploring.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-3TB-Personal-Storage-WDBCTL0030HWT-NESN/dp/B00EVVGAC6
>
> The WD MyCloud 3TB is a consumer-grade, home-oriented NAS that consists of
> a plastic chassis, embedded computer running Linux and a single WD RED
> drive for storage.

I'd actually buy two: a primary and a backup.  That single NAS drive is
> going to fail at some point and it'd be nice to have a second one with
> everything I need at a price for both at less than $400.
>
> Hope this helps someone!
>
> Disclaimer: I don't get anything from anybody for posting this.

That looks exactly what I have been looking for!  I've been trying to come
up with a NAS solution (to consolidate all my external USB drives), but
everything I found costs a lot more than I can spend right now.   Thanks
for the pointer.

You mention a second one for a backup, and I agree with you about the need:
 according to one of the user reviews, "I've attached another external
drive to its USB port and scheduled automatic backups ("checkpoints") of
the My Cloud. You can do this from your browser without installing any
software."   which seems less inexpensive than a second NAS for those of us
on a budget.