[lug] WD MyCloud NAS Details

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jan 7 15:53:12 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 15:13 -0700, Robert Racansky wrote:

> You mention a second one for a backup, and I agree with you about the
> need:  according to one of the user reviews, "I've attached another
> external drive to its USB port and scheduled automatic backups
> ("checkpoints") of the My Cloud. You can do this from your browser
> without installing any software."   which seems less inexpensive than
> a second NAS for those of us on a budget.

Yes, Gary reminded me of that in another post.  There are more features
that I didn't report on and if anyone is interested they should google
for reviews of the MyCloud and enjoy their reading.  I liked the fact
that over 4-5+ reviews, a common set of positive praise shined through
all of them.  When I see consistency like that, its easy to believe in
the product.

I like the two NAS unit setup so that any standard processes put in
place to use them can continue even if the first box goes down.  With a
little reconfiguring you can just point everything that was using NAS #1
to use NAS #2.

While you can't do that with an offline backup on a USB3 drive, a USB3
drive physically unplugged sitting in a drawer doesn't get destroyed by
a bad lightning strike to the house the way a second NAS server does.

So my overly protective solution is actually two NAS units with two
mirrored data drives and 3 offline drives for important storage.  Still
worried about losing stuff :(

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler