[lug] Windows XP End-of-Life: April 8, 2014

Dru Whitledge druw at oneimage.com
Wed Apr 9 10:52:07 MDT 2014

What's XP got to do with Linux? Potentially, a lot -- but that
potential is still wasted .... IMHO.
Most of the people moaning about the passing of XP (me prominently
among them) just simply want productivity from their PCs (or
"utility" to be more precise). I hate Win 7 for many of the same
reasons mentioned here (likely from long experienced users) -- big
learning curve, big waste of time, big frustration -- for NO big
benefit (no benefit I can identify). Win 7 also wiped out some
favorite fully functional programs I've been using for years -- but
then -- MS offered me a VMbox with XP in it to attempt to keep that
productivity (and now that's offing is officially extincted). And
that leads to the link between XP (MS) and Linux.

I've long suggested -- long suggested -- that ALL Linux distros offer
a standard VM box with automated assistance to install and configure
-- allowing mere mortal users -- non pro users, regular everyday
people users -- the ability to immediately toggle back and forth
between Linux (with free or super cheap productivity programs) and MS
(XP or whatever) with the most commonly used, massively consumed,
commercial MS programs (and Apple).  That ability to NOT have to
choose an OS -- but instead have both OSs available (simultaneously)
would allow regular everyday non-techie users to incrementally
migrate their productivity (utility) to Linux. The HUMONGOUS global
increase in the number of users (200 million Chinese XP users) would
spur massive development of programs on Linux -- AND make MS mucho
more friendly and receptive to negotiating extincting their old OSs
-- which are apparently still viable revenue producers in China,
Britain, Netherlands  -- and in the US -- except that we buckle under
to MSs pressure to upgrade -- MSs preferred optimized revenue model
-- to give us more crap.

Dru