[lug] Windows XP End-of-Life: April 8, 2014

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Apr 9 11:43:54 MDT 2014

I guess I'm just a systems guy because I look at what's going on beneath
the hood - how much memory is supported, how many cores, what network
protocols, etc. You can always keep your sports car in first gear but why?
I agree that MS screwed up the UX but that's not the only reason to upgrade.

The existing market, such as it is, isn't because people really love the XP
experience. It's because the users, almost entirely businesses, are still
using ancient software that can't run on newer systems. I can certainly see
the "why fix what's not broken" argument but it also has a lot of
limitations.

But if you're totally isolated from the net - go for it.